Saturday, August 30, 2008

Squash recipe

Hi Everyone,
If you are like me, wondering what to do with my squash, than you should check out this recipe. This is a blog that my sis-in-law sent me. This recipe is off her website. I thought I would share my findings! The great thing about this site is she shows how to implement food storage in your everyday living!
http://www.everydayfoodstorage.blogspot.com/
This recipe is called "Twinkie Surprise Cupcakes." Most people think the surprise is the raspberry filling but actually the surprise is pureed summer yellow squash! No one can taste the pureed squash and they are moist, easy, and taste just like a Twinkie! I came up with this recipe when my yellow summer squash plant was producing A LOT of squash and we were tired of eating it as a vegetable side dish. I tried researching recipes to use it in other ways, like you can with zucchini, but I didn't find anything great. After some concoctions in the kitchen, Voila! a great cupcake for both kid and adult alike using yellow summer squash as a surprise.
Twinkie Surprise Cupcakes-makes 36 cupcakes
1 Box Yellow Cake Mix
1 C. Pureed Summer Yellow Squash
1/2 C. Water2 T. Vegetable Oil
3 Large Oakdell Eggs (or 4 T. Honeyville Powdered Eggs + 1/2 C. Water)
3/4 C. Meadow Gold Sour Cream
2 C. Lemon Grove Red Raspberry Jam
1 Container of Vanilla Frosting (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake trays with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, mix the cake mix, summer yellow squash puree, water, oil, eggs, and sour cream. Beat until smooth, 1-2 minutes.
3. Fill cupcake liners 1/3 of the way. Dot each with raspberry jam, then cover with batter until the cups are 3/4 filled.
4. Bake until the tops of the cupcakes are golden and spring back to the touch, about 20-25 minutes. Turn the cupcakes onto wire rack to cool. Once they are cooled, frost with vanilla frosting, if desired.
Thanks for considering it! It really is amazing!
Heather

No comments: