Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Help!!!

Ladies, I really need some help here, my 2 year old, Annie has taken to waking up in the middle of the night and screaming.  Sometimes for hours, sometimes multiple times a night.  Nothing will console her, she kicks and she screams.  Very loud and piercing screams.  She's awake, so I don't think she's having nightmares or anything.  If I try to hold her she just kicks at me and arches away.

I'm almost at my wits end...I don't know what to do to help her or make it stop.  Has anyone else had any experience with this?  Does anyone have any soothing tips that might work?  Any advice you might have would be GREATLY appreicated.  Please comment or e mail me at mandolin442@yahoo.com.  Thanks so much!


4 comments:

The Hungry Homemaker said...

I would suggest asking your pediatrician. Also, you could trying playing soft music in her room, might be bale to calm her down, since holding her doesn't. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like night terrors. They seem to be awake, but are actually not. I've heard you shouldn't try and wake them, just stay with them and make sure they don't get hurt. It's very hard to watch as a parent, but it is one of the sleep disorders. I ditto what Brittney said. Definitely ask your peditrician!

Shari said...

My son Kenyon had problems with night terrors for almost a year. It was almost exactly the same as what your describing. He would seem to be completely awake, but he wasn't. My Dr. said there wasn't really anything to do, but that was a couple of years ago, things my be different now, so I would ask. The thing that helped us the most is I wouldn't try to touch him, I would just sit at the foot of his bed and sing softly his favorite quiet song. Even though he was screaming so loud I didn't think he would even hear me, he always calmed down much more quickly when I would do that. Hopefully that helps a little. I would try to avoid touching her though, unless it is nothing more than softly rubbing her back, arm, or leg. It is somthing that stops all on its own, and after almost a year of night terrors a couple of times a night, one night it just stopped, and it hasn't happened since.

Megan Ford said...

I had night terrors and nothing much ever helped but being in my parents room, since they couldn't sleep in mine. But I was older and used to a bed. Just being there helps. Eventually it stopped.

However, If it is not that, a friend of mine has a 3 year old that went through something similar last year. She was hurting herself too. She is the sweetest girl, it had nothing to do with that. She out grew it eventually.
We'll keep you in our prayers.